POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Strangeness with Parallel Lights : Re: Strangeness with Parallel Lights Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strangeness with Parallel Lights
From: Phil Cook
Date: 10 Feb 2004 11:52:39
Message: <opr25yj0lyp4ukzs@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:26:46 -0600, Hughes, B. <omn### [at] charternet>
wrote:

> "Severi Salminen" <sev### [at] NOT_THISsibafi> wrote in message
>> Phil Cook wrote:
>>
>> > The camera is inside a hollowed out box, there are no openings to the
>> > outside world. I'm pointing a set of parallel lights from outside the
>> > box to a point inside.
>> >
>> > So. where's the light coming from?
>> >
>> > Am I doing something fundementally wrong (most likely) or is this some
>> > property of parallel light's I don't know about showing up?
>>
>> Read this section in the manual:
>>
>> 6.5.7.4  Parallel Lights
>
> Hopefully Phil will see that you are probably referring to the plane of
> light projection. So, Phil, you'll need to watch out for that plane of
> light
> and any intersecting with objects it might do. I realize the doc says
> this,
> basically, but perhaps not in a way everyone will understand-- which is
> pictures like Phil's.  :-)

You caught me in the middle of replying to Severi; so I'll start again
here. Yep I guessed it had something to do with the light plane, but can't
figure out how it works. I'm producing a plane presumely based at location
perpendicular to the point_at so if my location was at 0 and point_at y
then then it would be equivalent a plane{0,y} I assume?

I've just read what I wrote and worked it out: the plane I'm producing is
passing through the box; as the light is taken from the closet point of
the plane I'm getting the equivalent of an internal light source. Sheesh

Thanks for all the help

--
Phil

--
All thoughts and comments are my own unless otherwise stated and I am
happy to be proven wrong.